Energy conservation :
What is Energy conservation : It refers to reducing energy consumption through using less of an energy service. Energy conservation differs
from efficient energy use, which refers to using less energy for a constant service.
Energy is critical to economic growth and improvement in the quality of life. India is currently the sixth largest energy consumer in the world.
Most of our energy use comes from fossil fuels like petroleum and coal that provide electricity and gas to power our growing energy needs. These resources
are non-renewable which means that we will eventually run out. Conserving energy not only helps to conserve resources but also translates into financial savings.
Tips to Conserve Energy :
- Get your home tasted by an expert electrician at least once a year, preferably after the monsoons. Check for leakage.
- With gadgets like air conditioners , geysers , cooking ranges , etc, always choose those with energy saving features.
- Inculcate the habit of switching off the lights , fans, air-conditioners etcwhen leaving the room.advice family members to do do the same.
- Whenever possible , replace electric heaters with cooking ranges , that use patroleum based fuel.
- Mark the electric switches so that one doesn't operate the wrong switch every time one needs to switvh something on or off.
- Use CFL or LED lights instead of normal bulbs.
- It is a good idea to use solar heaters and other similar devices instead of electric ones, whenever possible. Not only do you get central and state subsidies on
them , they are also cost effective in long run.
- Set the thermostats of air conditioners within your desired temperatures lavels. This saves electricity and ensures pleasant room temperature.
- A bio-gas plant can be a very cost effective energy conservation programme in a big housing complex.
- Insulate your concealed hot water lines with glass or other heat-insulating fibres to reduce consumption of energy. This will aslo enhance the
life of the ceramic tiles on the walls of your kitchen / bathroom , which otherwise might get dislodged due to heat from the hot water lines.
- Windmills could be very effectively used , at least to run the water pump in large housing complexes (particularly in the suburbs).
- Use small fuel-efficient cars. Get your car regularly serviced and tuned . Use car pools when possible.